Virginia College Loans,
Virginia Student LoansUniversity of Virginia, Virginia Tech, Virginia State
University System Student Loans :
Virginia based students always have the option of
funding their college tuition and other related expenses via
a federal student loan. By filling out a Free Application
for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), borrowers can qualify for
funding that ranges from $3,500 to $20,500 annually.
Undergraduates and graduates alike can borrow through
various federally-backed programs to help pay for college.
Depending on financial need, students can qualify for both
subsidized and unsubsidized funding.
All a student need do to qualify is complete the FAFSA, be a
U.S. citizen, enroll in an accredited school and seek a
degree at minimum on a part-time basis. Once a FAFSA is
filed, the U.S. Department of Education will provide the
student, and the Virginia schools designated by the
borrower, a Student Aid Report (SAR). The school then
uses the SAR to determine what loans the student qualifies
Sometimes, students will also qualify for a Federal Pell
Grant or a Virginia state grant. These grants are
awarded on a yearly basis and are extended to individuals
who apply immediately after the beginning of each calendar
The list of participating Virginia schools and
universities who accept federal student loans is long.
Providing the school is accredited, and the student is
enrolled in a qualified program the loan can be used to
cover educational expenses. Some of the participating
Virginia schools include Atlantic University, the Aviation
Institute of Maintenance, and the Army Quartermaster Center
There is also the option of seeking
Based on credit history, lenders can extend students
additional funding to their federal loans, grants and
scholarships. Borrowing limits in the private sector tend to
be more relaxed and the application process is certainly
faster. Before taking out a private loan, students
are encouraged to seek their federal options and then shop
and compare before they sign on with a lender.
- Allfirst Bank (805477) - Harrisburg, PA. 800-721-2265.
( Federal Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans)
- AMS Education Loan Trust (833067) - Swansea, MA.
800-637-3060. ( Staford Loan, PLUS Loan )
- AmSouth Bank (810612) - Jackson, MS. 800-858-7822.
- Bank of America (806746) - Brea, CA. 800-344-8382.
- Bank of Northumberland, Inc. (811098) - Burgess, VIRGINIA .
804-453-7003. Stafford Loans
- CommonWealth One Federal Credit Union (824264) -
Alexandria, Virginia . 703-823-5211 or 800-424-3334. (Stafford, PLUS)
- Fleet National Bank (805243) - Worcester, MA. 800-235-3385.
(Stafford Loans, PLUS)
- Independence Federal Savings Bank (831036) - Washington,
DC. 800-733-0473. (Stafford, PLUS)
- Langley Federal Credit Union (822131) - Hampton, VA.
757-825-7113 or 800-826-7490. (Stafford, PLUS)
- MBNA America (Delaware) N.A. (833772) - Wilmington, DE.
888-272-5543. Federal Stafford Loan, PLUS loan
- Medfunds (831654) - Cleveland, OH. 800-665-1016.
- SunTrust Bank (820564) - Richmond, VA. 800-552-3006.
Stafford Loan, PLUS loan
Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia
- Information about Virginia’s private colleges and